Tales of a Ninja Monkey

Thursday, September 22, 2005

So I was fired on Monday

How about that for title? Well now that I have your undivided attention I will try and explain the situation. Let me start a week ago from Monday which was the 12th... ( insert hazy dream sequence intro). So I get an email from my head boss who lives in Portland saying that she was giving the new guy (who has worked with us for like 2 months) my Tuesday shift. This made my new schedule Wed-Fri: 3:30pm-9pm and Sat: 10am-3pm. This gave me Sunday thru Tuesday off which for most people would be great except I like working, it keeps me busy and I feel productive. I have been working steadily since I was 15 so when I have too much time off I go stir crazy. This left me with only 22 hours as opposed to my normal 27.5. At the time I felt as though her (the boss') decision was justified because he had sold more then I had during the month of August. So as upset as I might have been I was willing to accept it because we are in sales and it is pretty cutthroat. ( insert fade into present) Ok so here we are on this Monday which was the 19th and I was bored sitting at home so I decided to go shopping. What can I say, I grew up with three sisters and my mom. The only testosterone in the house came from me and my dad so needless to say we were vastly outnumbered. Anyway back to Monday, so when I get home around 2 or 2:30 I notice I have a message on my voicemail. It was from the woman who does our hiring saying: "Hey John, this is ---, I just got off the phone with ------ (my boss) and your assignment with Comcast is done. Call me if you have any questions."

And I was like WTF! So I immediately called my Portland boss, which lucky for me it went to her voice mail because it probably would not have been the best conversation to have at that moment with me freaking out. I called Marcela but she was not home from classes yet, so I called my dad. It was one of those conversations that all of us have done, where we revert to 3rd graders and call our parents as soon as something bad happens. The conversation started out with me saying something like, "Dad I am freaking out, I think I just got fired, school starts on Monday, I have to get books, I have to get ready, I have to......" and so on. In case you do not know me very well, I have said before and I will say again that I will count myself incredibly blessed if I ever end up becoming half the man my father is. So he did his magical (logical) dad thing and calmed me down and gave me his advice. It does not help when he is telling me how proud he is of me no matter what happens and that they (my parents) will always be there for me. So after I calmed down I took his advice and wrote an email to all of the people above me with authority and expressed my confusion as to why this happened now. It was an understandingly long email which I will spare you, so I will paraphrase it by just stating some of my main points:

1. I had admitted to them in an email in August that I had realized my sales were down and that I was going to refocus during the month of September. I proved this by meeting if not beating 3 out of the 4 goals they set for me for September and the month is not even over yet. So why do this now? Why not fire me when the August sales first came in, not wait 3 weeks and allow myself the time to improve.

2. Why the company decided to keep the man who is/was my supervisor in Eugene after he cost the company as much as $200,000 or more because he had his car stolen where he had like 6 months of paperwork including people's social security numbers in the trunk of his car when it was stolen.

I did not get a reply until almost 24 hours later which was from the Portland boss solidifying and finalizing her decision. The worst part of her email was that she questioned my work ethic.
Wow. This is part of my final email that I sent them yesterday:
"It makes me wonder how ------ (boss) measures "work ethic". I personally would consider getting fired over the phone a display of not only poor work ethic, but terrible public relations. Not only was I let go over the phone, it was on my answering machine when I got home. This shocked me with its brazenness, and disregard for employee relations."

So pardon the cliche but: "You got Served!"
In case you were wondering why I waited to tell people, I wanted to get some answers before went on like a blabering idiot.

So as with many times in life we have to roll with the punches, and recognize that when one door closes another one opens. Namaste.

2 Comments:

  • Oh man, that sucks John. Sorry to hear that. From what I've heard from you, you're not working with the most intelligent, responsible or ethical people in the world. What jerks.

    By Blogger Thought Criminal, at 9:41 PM  

  • Hey John, that's some shitty news :-( Your boss may question your work ethic (which is not up for question, I'm sure) but I question his balls...does he have any? How about professionalism...any at all? Better to get out of there now, because if you were to advance in status and really deserve credit, promotion, money, hours, etc., I wonder if Ballsless would give them to you, given that he is a bad judge of character.

    By Blogger Sara, at 8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home